DISHONEST SCALES
Today's reading: Leviticus 19-21
"Do not use dishonest standards when measuring length, weight, or volume." Leviticus 19:35 NLT
I know we're not to add to, or take away from, the Word of God. It doesn't need my help and nothing about it needs to be disregarded. But if you might allow me the opportunity to unpack this single verse in a different way, in order to make a life application point, I would surely appreciate it.
I don't do a whole lot in regards to measuring. My interactions with people seldom, if ever, include temptations to short-change them in regards to feet, inches, pounds or miles.
That being said, I have been convicted by the words of this verse.
You see, and there is a vague possibility that I am not the only one, I too often use dishonest scales in regards to 'weighing' my personal sins against another's.
Their sins are always much worse.
Their sins should disqualify them.
Their sins are more revolting than my own.
Their sins should be held against them longer, much longer.
Their sins need be remembered long after they have sought God's forgiveness for them.
My sins? Well, my sins aren't that bad.
They don't think as much.
They shouldn't be held against me.
They stem from me just being made the way I was made.
They needn't be discussed, addressed or remembered.
Wouldn't that be dishonest scales? Isn't that wrongly judgemental of me? Doesn't that go against God's command, in God's Word, about how God's people should act?
No comments:
Post a Comment