Friday, September 22, 2017

LISTEN, CHURCH
Today's reading: Amos 5-9

"I hate all your show and pretense-the hypocrisy of your religious festivals and solemn assemblies. I will not accept your burnt offerings and grain offerings. I won't even notice all your choice peace offerings. Away with your hymns of praise! They are only noise to my ears. I will not listen to your music, no matter how lovely it is. Instead, I want to see a mighty flood of justice, a river of righteous living that will never run dry." Amos 5:21-24 NLT

If God, through Amos, had spoken this to the heathens, I'd yell, 'Yeah, Go get 'em, God!'

If these words to said to idol worshipers gathered around their little statues, I'd say, 'Sic 'em, Lord!'

If these words were penned to those who didn't know the One True God, I'd quietly pray, 'Lead them to you, Father.'

But they are written to the church go-ers. To the fellowship of believers. To the congregation. To the children of God.

Ouch.

What a reminder that we should be monitoring what we're doing and the heart attitude with which we're doing it. We shouldn't be 'playing church' for the sake of the crowd it will draw in. We shouldn't be disregarding the One we are gathering together to worship.

Church family, whether you attend the one I attend or not, let's not be this church. Let's be the church where God is alive, the Spirit leads and Jesus is recognized as the ONLY way to heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive